June 1, 2010 I published the last issue (at least for a while) of Girl Talk my teen girl magazine. Since this blog was originally designed for the purpose of publishing weekly devotions for the magazine and later the magazine itself I decided to create another blog that isn’t connected to Girl Talk.

I’ll probably still publish book reviews or other items here now and again but you’ll more often find me at Trusting Him with Today. I hope you’ll stop by



Aug 25, 2007

Football anyone...???

I am not a football fan. I don’t know the difference between a field goal and a touchdown, except the fact that when there’s a touch down I usually see the running back (or is that the quarterback???), doing a victory dance in the end zone. It is the end zone, right? However, I’ve watched with interest the Michael Vick (whom I’d never heard of before seeing him in the news) saga. Funding illegal dog fights on his property? Assisting in killing under performing dogs?

When seeing these types of stories it always make me wonder, “Why would anyone who has so much to lose do something so _______?” (You fill in the blanks, there are so many adjectives I can use that I can’t pick just one.)

3His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
4Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. 2 Peter 3-4


The only thing I can think of is the fact that until there is a realization that happiness, peace and contentment is found only in Jesus we will all continue to search for the next best thing, the next big thrill…

5For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;
7and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.
8For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2 Peter 2:5-8 NIV

3 comments:

eph2810 said...

Sometimes I don't understand why people will do cruel things -- even people who do not know Him. It boggles my mind.
But then again, we are all sinners, but He can change out heart and mind.

Thank you for sharing, Bernadine.

Amanda said...

I think even as believers we look for thrill. I am glad that I have Jesus and the Holy Spirit to help me escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

The Preacher's Wife said...

I'm with you Bernadine...this whole thing just boggles the mind...

loved the Scripture you applied..perfect!

much love!

Lisa

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008