June 1, 2010 I published the last issue (at least for a while) of Girl Talk my teen girl magazine. Since this blog was originally designed for the purpose of publishing weekly devotions for the magazine and later the magazine itself I decided to create another blog that isn’t connected to Girl Talk.

I’ll probably still publish book reviews or other items here now and again but you’ll more often find me at Trusting Him with Today. I hope you’ll stop by



Apr 10, 2007

Spotlight on Aldeka LaRoda

“ I find that the center of my prayer life remains my request to allow my life not only to please God but to be established to its fullest potential in Him…”
Aldeka LaRoda

Miss Aldeka LaRoda is a 2004 honours graduate of Bishop Michael Eldon High School. She graduated, as you can see from the above summary, with an impressive academic resume. Since graduating she is two years into her bachelors degree in biochemistry, at College of the Bahamas and plans to transfer to another university to finish her degree. She has been accepted into several colleges and offered scholarships but has not decided which offer to accept yet.

Aldeka was involved in the CSM while in high school and a year ago became a part of a group that goes into the public high schools to witness to students and assist them with their CSM clubs. According to Aldeka, God is doing a work in the lives of the students and she’s humbled to be a part of it.

What impressed me most about this young lady was when I asked about dreams and her plans for accomplishing them. Aldeka was able to paint me a verbal picture of her future as per a fifteen year plan she had written out when she was in eighth grade. Somehow I think this young lady who puts Christ at the center of her dreams will see them come to pass.

In Aldeka's own words

Who inspires you most in life and why?
It may sound mundane but my mother Mrs. Jennie-mae Laroda inspired me most in life. She inspired me in the way she lived- peaceably with even her worst enemies. Besides all of these qualities she inspired me most in the way that she died. To die with such dignity made me truly realize what an amazing person she was. She had the perfect opportunity to curse God and die but she smiled and I could hear it through her groans “Though he slay me yet will I trust him.” Her life quickens my own day by day.

What’s your favorite high school memory?
Lunchtime was the noteworthy moment of each day. Yes of course the learning part was and remains essential but socially, lunchtime chats with the fellas’ was the high point of my days. Politics, religion, war, economics, family roles, married life, death, music, you name it, it was discussed with such fluency one would believe we were undercover philosophers.

What do you miss most about high school?
I miss the security of high school knowing that if you didn’t do it right, someone would correct it for you. After High school that security blanket doesn’t exist anymore. Don’t get me wrong I love independence and responsibility but who really wants to give up the carefree life of childhood?

Is life after high school the way you expected it to be?
Life after high school honestly is not as terrifying as I expected. I learned that although you gain responsibility, over your own life there are still people there to help you along the way whether it’s to get your books, buying an old buggie for you to get around or giving you a pocket full of change so you don’t starve to death- there is help!

Is there anyone in your life you can always count on?
I can always count on the Holy Spirit not to let me down but second to him is my sister Chakita. She has been the greatest support to me, rarely has she let me down. What I love about my sister is that even though she gets on my nerves, when I need her she tries her best to be there. I owe her much of my life.

What are some pressures or disappointments that you have faced as a young lady?
I have always been pressured to change who I am so that I wouldn’t stand out. I am weird and I celebrate it once I am in no contradiction to the word of God, I love being me.

If you had to describe yourself with one word, what word would you choose? Why?
DIVERSE.I think that I’m like a diamond, not because of its beauty but because of its many facets. I’m strange by design and my gift is having a relatable spirit. I can sit and chat amongst 40 year olds about Plato and Chopin, to 16 year olds about relationships and teenage stress, 13 year olds about the last episode of Ned’s declassified or 3 year olds about the blue choo choo train on Dora the explorer. (What a great gift!)

Where do you want to be in five years? Are you on the right path to getting there?
I wasn’t promised tomorrow but in five years I would like to be 5 years wiser, 5 years stronger and 15 years closer to God. I also desire to complete my degrees in Biomedical research (BA MS PHD). Yes I most definitely am in the right place…God’s hands. Where He leads I will follow and who can mess up when Perfection is leading the way? Not even a fool so I’m assured that as long as I stay willing and obedient I will eat the good of the land.

If you think that you, or someone you know, would make a good Spotlight Teen do drop me a line. P.O. Box F-43929, Freeport Bahamas or email keepingitrealgirltalk@hotmail.com

No comments:

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008