June 1, 2010 I published the last issue (at least for a while) of Girl Talk my teen girl magazine. Since this blog was originally designed for the purpose of publishing weekly devotions for the magazine and later the magazine itself I decided to create another blog that isn’t connected to Girl Talk.

I’ll probably still publish book reviews or other items here now and again but you’ll more often find me at Trusting Him with Today. I hope you’ll stop by



May 14, 2007

A Cheerful Giver



"What makes life on this frightful sod so exquisite is God's merciful propensity to perform divine tasks amid deeply flawed people."
~ Beth Moore, LPM Blog ~


It was a regular Sunday morning about seven or eight years ago. I was sitting with my Sunday school class outside under a tree. Just as I was about to start my lesson two excited little girls came running shouting, “Sister Bernie, Sister Bernie!”

“What is it? " I asked as they came to halt in front of me.

“This is our Sunday school offering” they chorused together beaming as each of them passed me a bag they had hidden behind their backs.

There had been a sudden drop in the offering due to students having to pass a candy store on the way to church, (I mean, let's face it what kid could resist that). Well, after the decrease in offering and increased presence of candy in my class, I started teaching my Sunday school class about the importance of bringing an offering when they came into the house of God. These girls, (two sisters) had taken my lesson to heart. They had broken open their piggy banks that weekend and brought their entire savings to put in the offering about $83 and $67 respectively.

Years later I am still humbled by the unselfish act of these two little girls both of whom I have watched grow into beautiful young ladies. I’m still inspired by this selflessness. I'm sure they had many plans as day after day, week after week, month after month, they put their nickles, quarters and dimes into their piggy banks. However instead of spending it to buy something for themselves they cheerfully gave their all to God. This was one lesson in which the teacher became the student as I learnt the art of cheerfully giving my best to God even if it means giving my all.

I don’t know how well my story fits the quote but this is one of the many things that God has used over the years to show me that in the midst of our less than perfect world he is still able to perform divine tasks that will inspire, motivate and change lives.

(Twany and Perisha if you're reading yes I still remember and no, I won't ever forget)

For more on this weeks In Other Words visit Laurel Wreath

11 comments:

Denise said...

How very precious, thanks for sharing.

Rachelle said...

What a sweet story. I can see why you'd never forget it!

Pearls of Wisdom said...

What a wonderful heartwarming story. Thanks for sharing.

In his endless love,

Angel ( Angel Mama Pearls of Wisdom)

eph2810 said...

Bernadine - I think this wonderful story of your students fits perfect for this week's quote :) - Yes are all flawed, but when He gets a hold of us, He can change our thinking.

Be blessed today and always.

Hopeful Spirit said...

I agree that your story fits the quote.

The painter used intricate colors -- in this case, the color of giving and generosity -- upon the canvas, i.e., those two little girls' lives. The resulting art work was beautiful and not only benefited the church, but provided you with an unforgettable lesson. I think that's exactly what Ms. Moore was getting at!

Miriam Pauline said...

What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing.

Lori said...

What an amazing example you are to be used by God as a teacher and to make an impact on someone elses life. You are not perfect, but God was made strong through you.

Thank you so much for participating.

Nise' said...

Bless those precious hearts! It fits the quote beautifully! Thanks for sharing.

Crystal said...

What a beautiful story...it's so encouraging to see young people give unselfishly when the world teachs them to be selfish isn't it?
Thanks for sharing
Blessings

Delete said...

What an inspiring story! I have two girls and I worry so much about raising them in this flawed world. It is reassuring to hear that God can protect the innocence and pure hearts of our children.

Jenny

Bonnie W said...

What an exquisite gift from God - to know the things you taught your class really was getting through to them!

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008