June 1, 2010 I published the last issue (at least for a while) of Girl Talk my teen girl magazine. Since this blog was originally designed for the purpose of publishing weekly devotions for the magazine and later the magazine itself I decided to create another blog that isn’t connected to Girl Talk.

I’ll probably still publish book reviews or other items here now and again but you’ll more often find me at Trusting Him with Today. I hope you’ll stop by



Jun 10, 2010

Spotlight on Lachante Williams


If you meet this issue’s spotlight teen the first thing you’d probably notice is her radiant smile. If her face looks familiar it’s because her photos have appeared regularly in Girl Talk since she was about 12 years old. This issue’s spotlight teen is the delightful, graceful, fun loving and intelligent Lachante Naomi Williams.

Lachante is a seventeen year old 12th grade honor roll student and prefect at Jack Hayward High School. She has big dreams for her future and along with 6 BJC’s she has passed 5 BGCSE’s in 11th grade all with C and above which already qualifies her for a government scholarship. Lachante plans to study at College of the Bahamas and earn a degree in Electrical Engineering.

This active teen keeps busy with several extracurricular activities. She has been a dedicated member of the Zion Baptist Marching band for over six years. During that time she has been awarded Band Member of the Year and Section Leader. She plays the clarinet and saxophones and also teaches these instruments to new band members.

Lachante also loves to dance and participates in – Tap, Gymnastics, Ballet, Hip-Hop and Jazz. In her free time she enjoys listening to music, playing music, reading or just relaxing.

What would you like to tell the class of 2011? Grade 12 ends quicker than any other, after that crazy period of coursework and whatever else is driving you crazy, there is a lot of free time on your hands, use it wisely.

Who inspires you and why? My mother inspires me the most because she is truly a phenomenal woman and the best mother she could possibly be. I've watched her make sacrifices, struggle and stand up for what she believes in and this inspires because I want to be strong and determined like her some day.

What are you looking forward to as you leave high school? Learning more on my own and experiencing a new sense of freedom.

What advice have you been given that you will always remember? I was told that accidents happen and mistakes are made, but that does not mean I have to give up. My future is in my hands and I have the power to make it what I want it to be.

What are your plans for your first summer as a high school graduate? I plan to chill with my friends before everyone gets split up and go their separate ways and start acting all grown up. I also plan to prepare myself for the lifetime of work ahead of me.

What are some pressures that you have faced as a young lady? There is a long list of pressures I have faced and am facing every day like pressure to smoke, drink, have sex, test homosexuality or bisexuality or even something as simple as people trying to influence what I wear.

How do you stand against peer pressure?
Most of the time, I look at the situation and decide that the possible consequences are not worth it. Also, I just look at the older ladies in my life and ask myself how would they act in this situation or how would they feel if they saw me doing this.

Where do you see yourself ten years from now? I see myself out of college with a master’s degree in engineering. Working with several trades on my side and beginning the process of building my dream home. Basically, just having a wonderful life with friends and family

What is your biggest pet peeve? Listening to the sound of someone chewing ice

If you could have one wish what would it be? To give my family all they ever wanted/needed.

You’ve been appearing in the pages of Girl Talk for several years as a model, what impact has G.T had on your life? For one, it made me more confident, because I was once shy. However, I got used to seeing myself and being seen by others in these magazines. Also, it made me feel like I could actually be a role model and it made me start carrying myself in a way that would make me a suitable role model for others. Being a G.T. model also taught me to be prepared for and to expect the unexpected, because my precious Auntie B. does not seem happy unless she is catching someone in some sort of off guard position.

Finish these sentences…
I smile my biggest smile when... everything in the world feels right for that one second.
I get angry when… I see other people or even me taking things for granted.
I often dream about… food (lol)
God is…All I'll ever need and more.
My future looks… like a blank canvas that I'm ready to create my masterpiece on.
La-Chanté Williams is… specially and wonderfully made with a purpose she will eventually fulfill.


Congratulations to this teen who graduates high school today.

GT June 2010

1 comment:

Denise said...

Congrats to this dear blessing, may she shine on.

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008