June 1, 2010 I published the last issue (at least for a while) of Girl Talk my teen girl magazine. Since this blog was originally designed for the purpose of publishing weekly devotions for the magazine and later the magazine itself I decided to create another blog that isn’t connected to Girl Talk.

I’ll probably still publish book reviews or other items here now and again but you’ll more often find me at Trusting Him with Today. I hope you’ll stop by



Nov 4, 2007

Thank you for giving to the Lord

No matter how young or old we are in Christ, we all experience times when we feel as if what we're doing isn't of significance or isn't affecting any one's life in a meaningful way. However you may never know this side of heaven how much something you did or said changed some one's whole life. To those of you who have been there or are at that place right now I dedicate this post to you.



It was a beautiful day outside. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and the flowers were in full bloom. It was the kind of day that would make anyone happy to be alive, anyone except Mama Gina, the neighborhood's favorite grandmother. She was usually one of the most cheerful person around, but not today. She didn’t even notice the beauty of the day as she walked humming a song she was making up as she walked.

I feel so weak and tired
Feel like all my strength has gone.
Nobody told me that the load would be so heavy
I feel like God has brought me this far and dumped me

As Mama Gina was walking humming, one of her young neighbours caught up with her.

Neighbor: Mama Gina, isn’t it a beautiful day? What’s that song I heard you singing?

Mama Gina: Child I’m just making the words up as I go. I feel so discourage. I feel like all my work in vain

Neighbor: You do? Maybe that's why I dreamt about you last night

Mama Gina:About me? What did you dream?

Neighbour: I dreamt I went to heaven, you were there with me.

Mama Gina: Sound good so far, go on.

Neighbour: We walked upon the streets of gold, near the crystal sea. Heard these angels singing and someone called your name.
Mama Gina: My name?

Neighbour: Yes, your name

Mama Gina: Who was it?

Neighbour: It was a young man. He was smiling as he came.

Mama Gina: Was it my grandson? He just went on home last year.

Neighbor: I don’t think so but he walked up to you and said,

Friend you may not know me now, then he said, but wait, you use to teach my Sunday school I was only eight. And every week you would say a prayer, before the class would start. One day when you said that prayer I asked Jesus in my heart.

Neighbor: Then he gave you a rose and started singing,
Thank you for giving to the Lord. I am a life that was changed. Thank you for giving too the lord. I am so glad you gave.
Mama Gina: You really dreamt that about me?

Neighbor: Yes but I’m not finished.

Mama Gina: You mean there’s more?

Neighbor: Yes, then another man came gave you a rose and said,

Remember the time a missionary came to your church his pictures made you cry. You didn’t have much money but you gave it anyway. Jesus took that gift you gave and that’s why I’m in heaven today.
Mama Gina: There were so many missionaries. I don’t even know which one it was.

Neighbor:
Well one by one they came as far as the eyes could see. Each one someone touched by your generosity. Little things that you had done sacrifices that you’d made, unnoticed on this earth but in heaven now proclaimed. And I know up in heaven you’re not supposed to cry but I’m almost sure there were tears in your eyes. As Jesus took your hand and you stood before the Lord he said “my child, look around you great is your reward.”
Neighbor: Then everyone started singing to you.
Thank you for giving to the Lord I am a life that was changed, thank you for giving to the Lord I am so glad you gave.
As the young neighbor finished repeating the dream tears began to fall from Mama Gina's eyes.

Neighbor: Mama Gina what you crying for? I thought the dream would cheer you up. Are you still feeling discouraged?

Mama Gina: How can I still be discouraged after that? I think I have a new song to sing now.

Neighbor: Really what is it?

Mama Gina: I don’t feel no way tired.

Neighbor: I can join you in singing that.

The two continued walking together singing softly: I don’t feel no way tired. Come to far from where I started from. Nobody told me that the road would be easy but I don’t believe he brought me this far to leave me.

(Words in italics are from the song Thank You For Giving to the Lord by Ray Boltz) I've always loved the song and this is a shortened version of a skit I wrote several years ago using the lyrics of the song)

2 comments:

Denise said...

I love the things you share, and I love you.

eph2810 said...

I love this song. We have sung it with the praise team at my church on Thanksgiving one year - brought me to tears....

You are right - we never know this side of heaven when God is using us to witness...Thank you for sharing and for the encouragement!!!!

Be blessed today and always...

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008